} -->

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Batteries Came!!

Today i picked up my batteries and they look great! Im excited to test them out with the car

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Installed the Second of Three Motor/Tranny Mounts

I was able to modify the orignial front engine mount to fit with the tranny and adapter plate. The solution was to use 13 washers as spacers to make up for the 5/8th inch gap that the engine had one filled. Now the tanny is mounted almost identicle to the way it was before i removed the engine, which will ensure good preformance.

The final mount will for sure have to be fabricated. Since the motor will have so much torque, by latest plan will be to have a solid metal mount that starts on the other, unused face of the motor and attaches to the back left engine mount. This way the motor will not go anywhere, but still have a bit of room to vibrate in, which is good. One issue with this plan is the axle intersects with where i want to cross the mount, so i will have to make it curve around where the axle is.

Cleaned Up Wireing Under the Hood

I was getting tired of all the extra connectors and wires that originally hooked to the engine, so i decided to remove them and tidy up the wiring i needed to keep. The only wires i have left are for the various lights and signals, the horn, ground, and the battery. Much more simpler.



Sunday, March 13, 2011

Started the Battery Racks

We measured how much space i had under the hood for batteries and found i could fit 5 across between the motor and the front grill. We then constructed a wooden box that was the same dimensions as five batteries lined up and attempted to place it in the car.

The box didn't fit right away, but with the help of a hammer, we widened out the sides of the hood and made it fit.

Now that i have a good template i can make plans for the real thing.

Connected the axles to the Tranny

Yesterday i connected the axle hubs the the transmission hubs. It went much smoother than i thought.

Now when you turn the motor, the wheels spin!

The motor  still needs to be mounted securely though. That's the next big step