} -->

Thursday, September 9, 2010

It's Gonna be a Cold Winter...I Have a Solution!

Some crazy old man told me this winter will be especially cold. Later, I thought my car has no heater or defrost... The original heater required water to run which was made by the engine.

The solution - A $20 ceramic heater from walmart
Sunbeam Ceramic Heater

I ended up getting "mis charged" and only payed $5 for it!

First thing i did was open it up and find the ceramic heater core which will be powered by my 120v pack

Here it is:

















As you can see there is a jumble of wires sticking out and sending power through different combinations determines how hot the heater gets.

After various trial and error testing and a meat probe thermometer and a few burns on my hand, i fount out the combo of wires that yield the hottest temp...200 degrees F!

Obviously the fans in the car will cool it down by the time it comes out the vents. I expect it to be equal or a bit cooler than the original water heater.

This heater also came equipped with a powerful fan which i can use to ventilate the gases out of my trunk. When the batteries charge, they leak out a tiny bit of H gas, which is explosive...remember the Hindenburg?

To mount the fan i will cut a hole big enough for the ceramic heater in the cars original heater core pictured here

















Heater core
















It will look something like this
















I also will need a relay that will allow me to toggle the heater on and off. I just bought this and it has yet to arrive.

Here is the spot in the car where all of this fits into. It's right behind the center console under the dash

0 comments:

Post a Comment