} -->

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Plan

I have four things to do before i purchase the rest of my EV stuff.
  1. Build the controller: I'm in no hurry for this since i want to do it right, so its not a top priority. I would guess ill have it done before school is out.
  2. Figure out the batteries i want to use. 15 8v golf cart batteries will get me my desired 120 volts. My other options are 20 6v or 10 12v. The thing with batteries is the more you have is more range before recharging, but also more weight. 20 6v would equate to 1200 lbs since they are 60 lbs each, and i would get maybe 5 extra miles of range. 10 12v would be close to 750 lbs, but i would suffer about 10 miles less of range. 8v howevr are the middle ground, weighing about 63 lbs each, so about 950 lbs, and i would get decent range.My delima is choosing which brand of 8vs to use. Sams Club offers a great deal on decent quality btteries for about $70 each, the problem is the nearest one is in Seattle. So ill need to research that a bit more. The batteries i will buy last, since they lloose life sitting in my garage.
  3. I need to test the existing electrical stuff and fix whats broken. This includes the headlights, dishboard, turn signles, wipers ect. I need to buy a reguilar car battery for this. Im hoping to finish this by May.
  4. Purchase, mount, and test motor. I already have arranged a great deal on a new moter from a guy i visited in Seattle. I will need to pick that up, since it is $200 to ship, and order the custom adapter plate which will connect is to the transmission. Once i've done that, i need to figure out a good way to mount it all under the hood and connect it to my controller. It shouldnt be too hard since it is much smaller than the gas engine. Once it is all mounted, i can text the motor with a 12v battery, and actually get the car moving (super slow).
After all of this is done, I can proceed on and purchse all of the liitle components to wire it all together. That will be the final stretch of the project.

I plan to finish sometime in the middle of summer, and then it will just be some tidying up and optimizing to get it perfect.

Nevertheless, the final product is very far out of reach right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment